Imagine this: You’re a mechanical engineer who grew up on the farm and has been working for a drone company for the last 10 years. With your farm background, you’ve seen firsthand how drones can help a farmer with their operations. However, you know that there is still a long road to go before large-scale autonomous drones are doing mass aerial spraying. But, you think you might be able to get there
As a farm kid, you know the challenges farmers face that can be addressed by these kinds of sprayers.
- Ineffective input application
- Excessive chemical usage
- High cost of labor
- Soil compaction
- Too many tasks in a day
You begin your work. You start to build out the software to identify weeds from crops, you develop the hardware to effectively spray in all kinds of weather conditions (including that North Dakota wind) and you start to build out the business model and team.
However, you quickly run into roadblocks because of the data silos that exist within agriculture.
These data silos are like separate grain storage bins on your farm, where each bin holds a specific type of crop, but you can’t easily mix or share the crops between bins. Similarly, in technology development, data silos are separate places where different information is stored, making it hard to use and combine the data effectively for better decision-making.
You need access to data where you can train your software to complete tasks like spraying speed to wind conditions, identifying weeds from crops, and completing numerous other tasks.
Grand Farm’s Data Hub will allow you to access publicly available data that you can build this model off of. Check out the different services that the Data Hub will give you access to.
Grand Farm worked with Intellias to develop the Data Hub. Intellias is a global technology partner to Fortune 500 enterprises and top-tier organizations, helping them accelerate their pace of sustainable digitalization. Intellias empowers businesses operating in Europe and the US, as well as the Middle East to embrace innovation at scale.
Intellias specializes in AgriTech, where it revolutionizes farming paradigms and introduces transformative solutions. By enabling data-driven decisions and increasing profitability for farmers, Intellias benefits both established industry leaders and cutting- edge startups. The company’s commitment to fostering long-term sustainability in Agriculture plays a crucial role in shaping the future of farming.
Beyond Agriculture, Intellias contributes to global impact through R&D partnerships, collaborating with NASA to cultivate plants in space and supporting biotech efforts in combating tropical disease.
With a strong track record in delivering transformative solutions, Intellias remains committed to empowering businesses, shaping the future of Agriculture, and driving sustainable growth.
Check Out The Data Hub
- Search: You can search for data related to specific use cases in agriculture. For example, you can search for research studies on “Efficient Drone Fertilizer Spraying in Precision Agriculture.” These studies will help you build out your model.
- Filter: You’ll be able to filter all your search options so you can search data specifically relating to your need. For example, you can search for weed imagery from 2020-2023.
- Research results: The research results will show up based on your filters. This will give you quick access to the data you can use for development. The search results will also allow other users to rate the data. For example, the “Efficient Drone Fertilizer Spraying in Precision Agriculture” was rated a 9 out of 10
- Algorithms: Based on the data results, if there are any algorithms publicly available, you will be able to run those algorithms right in the Data Hub.
- Use cases: You will be able to create different workspaces for various use cases so you can run different workspaces, allowing you to find data for a variety of use cases.
- Workspace: This is where you can work with the different data sets that you have brought into the Grand Farm Data Hub to bring them all together into a single silo to develop your model.
- Resources: The Resources tab allows you to upload your own data to the site and filter based on what you’d like to include in simulations.
- Scenarios: Based on the data you’ve searched for, you can run different scenarios and simulations using different algorithms. You will then be able to see if the tests are successful or not.